The UNICEF Innovation Fund is looking to make up to $100K equity-free investments (in USD and/or cryptocurrency) to provide early stage (seed) financing and mentoring to for-profit technology startups that have the potential to benefit humanity. Applicants have the opportunity to receive a portion of funding in cryptocurrency (bitcoin or ether) through our recently launched CryptoFund. Given the current global climate and a dramatic shift to a digital world as a result of COVID-19, open-source solutions that address critical needs for society are as important as ever.
If you have a start-up registered in one of UNICEF’s programme countries and have a working, open source blockchain prototype (or you are willing to make it open-source) showing promising results, we are looking for you.
Who we’re looking for
We are currently looking to invest in companies developing blockchain-based software solutions. Examples of areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
Financing enables individual people to participate in and contribute to various ecosystems.
We are seeking solutions that :
- Enable people to use, earn, and hold cryptocurrencies
- Allow people to access decentralised financial instruments
- Explore new models to empower communities to act as their own economic hubs
- Make financial systems more transparent
Around the world, groups work together to deliver services. Increased transparency and accountability in these processes lead to better results.
We are seeking solutions that:
- Allow various group to work together in a transparent and accountable nature (i.e. supply-chain, contract management, data tracking, etc.)
- Enable decentralized deal-making, for example through decentralised marketplaces
UNICEF supports the creation of open source software to ultimately enable communities with new tools.
We are interested in solutions that empower local communities to engage with systems in new ways, such as those that:
- Explore new ways of making decisions (i.e. using a decentralized method such as DAOS to determine what projects should receive funding)
- Protect user data collected through solutions through zero knowledge proofs or other mechanisms.
Our funding is not necessarily limited to the above. We are interested in companies that use distributed ledger tech in new, groundbreaking, ways that are scalable, and globally applicable.
If you are aligned with our general criteria, we want to hear from you.