DIRECTING FOR TV AND FILM
In this course, you will be taught by a range of staff with relevant expertise and knowledge appropriate to the content of the unit. This will include senior academic staff, qualified professional practitioners, demonstrators, technicians, and research students. You will also benefit from regular guest lectures from the industry.
The objective of this course is for you to become a specialist or artist in the Direction and Creation of Cinema Films in Digital format. The mission is to make a professional short film as shot with visual effects, using professional cameras on a normal set, and experience it from its beginnings to the post-production process.
Why study CFA?
- Learn from media professionals who have expertise and experience working in the industry
- Work with the producing, scriptwriting, cinematography, sound, and editing students to create a showcase of your skills as a visual, creative storyteller
- Benefit from regular guest speakers
- Understand and manage the entire production process, from planning and pre-visualization, through to working on location and overseeing creative post-production work
- Use your final production project to showcase the skills you’ve developed to mastermind your own collaboration and use it as your calling card to the industry
- Take advantage of opportunities to use our production equipment freely to shoot your own short films for the duration of your training.
SCREENWRITING FOR RADIO, TV, AND FILM
Our Screenwriting with Film, TV, and Radio course allows you to develop your scriptwriting skills to a professional level across many disciplines and gives you the opportunity to pursue a career within the media industry.
The multi-million-pound screenwriting industry is the foundation of film and television production. Meet professional writers, network at Coded TV events, and attend film festivals on our Screenwriting course.
Why study with us
- Develop the crafts of film and TV screenwriting and writing for radio to a professional level – and with considerable freedom.
- Access state-of-the-art facilities in our Media Factory where you can practice various scriptwriting disciplines.
- Guest speakers from the industry and alumni share experiences of working in the industry and how to get writing gigs
VIDEO AND FILM EDITING
Students will gain an understanding of Adobe Premiere Pro video editing, adding after-effects and learn advanced video editing skills in this course. This complete video editing course will educate you on everything needed to become a master video editor in video and film industry.
The entire program contains a range of subject matters related to video editing and familiarizes with video editing tools and software with practical examples. You’ll learn how to optimize video size, length and format for different purposes, mix audios, and finally bring the right colour and quality to yield a desired one.
Throughout this course, it stresses Adobe Premiere Pro CC software proficiency to become skilled in higher-level editing. Besides, it also includes smartphone video editing skills to keep in pace with increased Android and iPhone users. Hence, you can perform small to large-scale video editing tasks after completing this complete training program.
FILM PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT
Get ready to produce your next big hit. Coded Film academy is a hub for creative students, with industry-standard facilities you’ll have an impressive showreel of work by the time you graduate
The course teams are made up of highly experienced industry professionals and have strong links with the industry to help you build essential hands-on experience.
With a wide range of high-end film equipment, a passionate teaching team and a reputation for producing well-rounded graduates, film production at CFA will help prepare you for life as a film production professional.
The making of a film is a very complex art form requiring a variety of skills and expertise including creativity, passion, commitment, technical expertise, team working, vision, and research skills. This degree gives you the opportunities to develop these specialist skills through a creative, practical yet academic curriculum built on real-world film production practices.
You will be supported to develop a range of filmmaking knowledge across key roles including writing, directing, cinematography, sound, editing and producing, whilst also having the chance to specialize in some of the key creative roles involved in the making of films. You will also have the opportunity to produce many short films and a final year graduation film, all designed to put your knowledge into practice.
Your core knowledge will also be complemented by modules in Film Marketing and Fundraising, which will help you to learn how to raise money for your films and distribute them to festivals and beyond.
Coded Film Academy is a hub for creative students, with a visual recording studio with capacity for 100 seated audience members and a range of radio and music production facilities. Our large edit suites feature Mac Pro computers and the full Adobe Creative Suite for editing, colour grading and special effects.
This degree will equip you with the core skills and knowledge to be a better filmmaker, to understand cinema critically and creatively, and to be challenged and grow as an individual.
Who is this course for?
This Film Production course is ideally suited to students who have a flair and passion for telling stories with images, enjoy challenges, and want to learn how to make better cinematic films.
A background in filmmaking is not necessary, however, some experience of what filmmaking entails, and experience of being involved in making a film (however short) would be advantageous.
VOICING AND ANCHORING
This is one complete & intensive Audio Course for those who are fascinated by the world of glamour. The course aims to expose its students to the techniques employed in reporting as well as anchoring for live events & television shows with an added advantage of learning news reading complexities. In today’s competitive environment, an individual looking for a break in media industry is required to have an all-round knowledge, though; the students studying this course will also have an option of creating a specialization in any of the mediums, i.e., TV & News Anchoring.
- An overview of the Television & Industry
- Voice Over: Rhythm of speech, Breathing, Resonance, VO for TV commercials/ corporate videos/ radio commercials/ TV Documentaries
- Radio Presenter: Radio Presenting, Voice Projection, Scripting, Mic Technique
- Public Speaking: Showing how to hold an audience’s attention, Teaching awareness of voice and its function, Demonstrating how to control body language, Breathing and articulation, Acting and singing to strengthen your personal and vocal confidence
- Examples of anchors work and detailed analysis of their styles
- Theory of Dubbing
- On-air Essentials
- A guide on how to write presenter scripts for TV
- A look at personality, style and general show presentation
- Recording the voice
- Digital Editing & Recording
- Studio autocue reading
- Audition techniques
- Radio News Reading: Radio news reading: the basics of fluency, Voice: pitch/tone/intonation/inflection, Duties and responsibilities, Understanding the news scripts and news agenda
- News Writing: The first rules of journalism, Local and national radio newsrooms, The whole radio newsgathering process, The basics of writing for radio, Basic awareness of legal issues: copyright and contempt of court, Understanding the Story, Psychology of TV News Presenting
- Making & adding effective promo and jingles for radio, Sales & Marketing Comedy techniques
- Talk Show Host – Talk Radio & Presenting phone ins
COSTUME & SET DESIGN
Costume and Set Design introduce students to the process of character costume design and its role within production for film or theatre. You will also gain an overview of the role of the set and costume designer within theatre and screen.
This hands-on project-based course will ask you to respond to an exciting brief. You will learn how to extract key information from an initial concept then use it to develop costume and set designs that bring the characters and settings to life.
The course will be an opportunity for individual research and tutorial discussions. We will also set you a brief, which you’ll answer by producing a range of costume and set designs.
Who should attend
This course is ideal if you’re thinking about a future in costume or set design for theatre or film and for those who are considering applying for further study in this field. It is also suitable for those who work in amateur dramatics or theatres groups.
You will have created a scale model supported by sketches and illustrations. You’ll leave the course with a body of work comprising costume and set design that reflects your experience of answering project briefs. Your improved portfolio will reflect your newfound ability to identify the key points from your concept and use them to bring characters and their settings to life.
MAKE-UP & SPECIAL EFFECTS
This special effects course will introduce you to many aspects of film and TV makeup designs ranging from natural beauty and HD ready techniques through to period make-up, face painting, ageing make-up and special effects such as cuts, scars and skin disorders.
We will focus on creating believable makeup designs through attention to detail, and you will come out of the course with the ability to convey a different age, health and personality through your use of special effects.
The second week focuses on more specialized skills of makeup effects. We will discuss how to identify and create realistic and believable trauma makeup for film, including cuts and bruises, black eyes and burns, as well as how to maintain special effects make-up on set for the duration of filming.
Special Effects Makeup can be defined as the use of prosthetic sculpting, molding, casting and painting to create advanced cosmetic effects. Special Effects Makeup can be seen in most popular TV shows and movies and even at conventions and Halloween. It can go from scary movie monsters like werewolves, aliens and zombies to changing someone appearance to look younger, older, and different facial features or weight.
Who this course is for:
- Someone who wants to pursue a career in FX makeup.
- Someone who would like to learn how to create illusions and visual tricks that are essential to many films and productions today
- Someone who has a burning desire to share their imagination with the world.
Our expert-led photography classes will give you the skills you need to become a professional photographer, with complete training from beginner to advanced photography techniques.
- Understanding lens types
- Understand each camera mode in detail
- The importance of lighting and how to work with natural light
- Control depth of field with apertures and learn shutter speeds for dynamic movement
- Learn composition rules and guidelines
- Learn to develop your own style and achieve the most from your pictures with editing
Here you will be build the technical and practical skills of theatre production and learn about the industry from experts, including our staff and from our range of successful graduate theatre companies and experienced theater practitioners.
We have created three distinct pathways: the first building a strong foundation of employability skills within the creative industries, including leadership and project management; the second exploring critical issues in arts, such as wellbeing and ‘filmpreneurship’; and the third developing specialist skills in your chosen area as theater production manager.
Areas you will study and gain skills in include
- Live project management
- Event planning
- Arts, health and well-being
- Managing and working with people from different specialisms
- Arts marketing
- Arts in society
- Pitching ideas
You’ll also develop skills for research, in your subject specialism and digital literacy relevant to the industry.
SOUND ENGINEERING AND MUSIC PRODUCTION
Audio engineering is both a science and an art. Practitioners must understand complex software and technical sound concepts like Logic Pro X, compression, and EQ, as well as foster a trained ear for good sound.
What you’ll learn:
- Be inspired like never before to pursuit great sound
- Understand sound better in a musical, scientific and philosophical sense
- Connect the language of music to the technical language of sound
- Form the mindset of the greats behind sound production (for both live and recording)
- Learn to select and use / position the right microphone for a given source
- Understand and practice electronic matching
- Learn to select and use / position the right microphone for a given source
- Use the equalizer with in-depth understanding
- Use the mixer correctly
- Learn to choose and use the correct PA for a given room
- Control feedback
- Build a mix
- Bring balance and beauty to a song
CINEMATOGRAPHY AND LIGHTING
Cinematography is a scientific art form, and our practical cinematography course will help you become a master of capturing motion-picture photography, focusing on two key areas of cinematography: camera work and lighting techniques.
This practical cinematography course covers lighting and operating for film and digital video with in-depth technical explanations and hands-on shooting experience.
Course will focus on:
- Students explore theoretical and practical elements of cinematography with an emphasis on lighting and cinematographic language.
- While learning techniques of studio and location lighting, students also study historical and contemporary trends and styles.
- Theoretical and technical topics include operation and characteristics of cameras, lenses, accessory camera equipment, lighting, composition, digital compression, and exposure (in-camera tools like histograms as well as light meters) along with some discussion of traditional film emulsion and laboratory processing.
- Professional techniques for altering the look of a film are demonstrated and discussed. Practical tests and scenes are shot with an eye towards solving practical problems and achieving a visual strategy.
ACTING FOR FILM AND STAGE
Make the world your stage.
This course offers the intensive training needed to become a versatile and multi-skilled performer.
You’ll cover all aspects of the craft and learn how to take a production from initial idea through to the first performance or screening. You’ll be part of a creative community with plenty of opportunities to collaborate and create your own original work.
Practical workshops in acting, voice, movement, scenography and theatre histories will enable you to build your own creative toolkit. You’ll have access to our industry-standard facilities to gain valuable experience in a professional capacity.
You’ll be taught be professional actors, casting directors, film-makers and screenwriters, many of whom continue to work in the industry alongside teaching.
This intensive training will help you develop your own artistic identity within performing arts in Nigeria and beyond. As well as acting, the specialist knowledge and expertise you will gain will enable you to work in wide variety of job roles within this creative sector.
The sessions are led by an experienced broadcast journalist and our Broadcast Journalism course is designed to develop key skills in media and journalism.
This course combines knowledge of journalism principles with the practical, hands-on experience of creating your own content.
Learn what makes a story ‘newsworthy, how to write for broadcast and the legal and ethical issues around broadcasting. Develop your research and interviewing skills and build confidence presenting on TV and radio.
Topics can vary to suit your interest (for example, business, global affairs, food, lifestyle, health, community matters), with plenty of opportunities to experiment with new ideas.
Who is it for?
It is ideal if you are new to journalism and want to develop your understanding and build confidence across a variety of key media skills.